[ovs-announce] OpenStack: "Open vSwitch and the Intelligent Edge" Slides

Justin Pettit jpettit at nicira.com
Wed May 14 08:00:28 PDT 2014

Thanks to those who attended my "Open vSwitch and the Intelligent Edge" presentation at the OpenStack Summit yesterday.  From my understanding, the video should be available on YouTube within the next couple days.  I've uploaded the slides and put a link on the Documentation page at openvswitch.org, but here's a direct link:

    http://openvswitch.org/slides/OpenStack-140513.pdf

In this talk, I describe advanced operations that can be achieved due to OVS's location at the edge of the network. With its unique position, it has greater context and the ability to enforce policies early. I describe the effects on networking and security, and dive into specific examples that can be best handled with an intelligent edge.  Topics include:

  - Guest introspection
  - Inferring state from the edge
  - Implementing efficient security policies
  - Elephant flow detection and handling

I hope you find it interesting.

--Justin