[ovs-dev] Private VLAN (pvlan) support in openswitch

Justin Pettit jpettit at nicira.com
Thu Oct 15 07:10:11 UTC 2009

On Oct 14, 2009, at 11:47 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

> .. and I was asking because VMware's new distributed virtual switch
> seems to support pvlans, and also the Cisco Nexus 1K virtual switch
> supports them.
>
> Seems like a good way to save IP addresses..

Hi, Pasi.  We agree that PVLANs would make a great addition, and
they're on our roadmap.  We have a few items that are ahead of them in
priority, so it's unlikely that they will be implemented by anyone at
Nicira within the next few months.  However, as Ben mentioned, we will
gladly accept code contributions, so if anyone wants to take a crack
at adding them, we'd gladly work on integrating the patches.  In fact,
we've been in discussions with some other companies, so we should be
receiving some new features from external developers in the next few
weeks.

--Justin