[ovs-dev] vSwitch OpenFlow re-write Ethernet address action support

Christian Esteve chesteve at dca.fee.unicamp.br
Thu Oct 29 13:56:18 UTC 2009

Hi Justin,

thanks for your reply!

> Are you doing this from a
> controller and you're getting these errors over
> OpenFlow?

We are using NOX as the controller.

Using the same NOX component with OpenFlow 0.89rev2 underneath works fine.

Using vSwitch version 0.90.6  we get the errors we described:

> Is it possible that you're having an endian issue in the action you're
> setting?  If you're seeing 1024 and 1280 (you indicated 1080), then
> these are the Ethernet modification actions in the wrong endian order.

Good catch!

The Ethernet modification action types when printed out of NOX are "4"
and "5" as defined in the openflow module. Which converted to bytes
and bit strings could indeed wrongly lead to the above mentioned 1024
and 1280 decimal values.

However, the same component implementation and install action commands
work fine with OpenFlow 0.89rev2. We wonder if the endian bug could be
in the vSwitch implementation.

With regard to trying to add the flows manually, we have not succeeded
(yet), but most probably it is our fault. Note we tried with version
0.90.4 and not 0.90.6  as I indicated in my previous mail.
See below our attempts. We are still confused on how the datapath
control works in vSwitch. Is there somewhere to look at to better
udnerstand the specific relationships between the different ovs
modules and controllers?

./ovs-ofctl add-flow br0 in_port=1,udp,actions=mod_dl_dst:88:88:88:88:88:88,2
modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.23/modules.dep: No
such file or directory

Oct 28 18:05:26|00001|dpif|WARN|ioctl(SIOCETHTOOL) failed: No such device
ovs-ofctl: br0 is not a valid connection method

./ovs-ofctl add-flow 0 in_port=1,udp,actions=mod_dl_dst:88:88:88:88:88:88,2
ovs-ofctl: cannot connect to 0: stat failed on
/usr/local/var/run/0.mgmt (No such file or directory)