[ovs-dev] Kernel BUG on Xen

Nick Couchman Nick.Couchman at seakr.com
Thu Apr 22 18:38:10 UTC 2010

>  It looks like we don't properly handle the case where the packet is shorter
> than it should be, i.e. the length in the header indicates it is longer than
> the actual data.
>
> The interesting thing is that this should be checked in skb_pull_up_to(),
> which we got directly from Xen, so at least some versions of Xen might have
> the same issue.  Have you tried running without OVS?
>
> Obviously, we should be handling all packets without crashing, valid or not,
> but I'm a little surprised that Windows would generate such a packet.  Does
> this happen consistently?  Is there anything interesting about the guest?

The system works fine when I'm using the native Linux bridge support, it's just with OVS that it crashes.  In Windows, I'm using James Harper's GPL PV drivers for Xen guests, so it's possible there is something in the GPL PV driver code that is generating a short packet.  Yes, this is extremely consistent - I tried several times in a row and always got just to the Windows login screen before I see the Kernel BUG message that I initially posted.  The kernel BUG message is very consistent, too - always to the same function with the same traceback.

-Nick

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient, please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor attributable to SEAKR.