[ovs-dev] Merging datapath into the upstream kernel tree

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Thu Aug 5 18:35:22 UTC 2010

I agree with most of what you wrote.  Some comments:

On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 11:31:00AM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Thursday 05 August 2010, Simon Horman wrote:
> > > 	- Support network namespaces.
> >
> > 	That sounds more like post-merge material to me.
>
> Yes, for drivers/staging, it's fine to make the code depend on
> !CONFIG_NET_NS, but I think it's important enough to fix this
> before the code can move to drivers/net.

The current code builds fine with CONFIG_NET_NS.  It's just that it only
uses the initial network namespace, ignoring any others.  It should be
straightforward to add support, whenever we do it.

> I think the requirements for drivers/staging are actually very low, all we
> need is a patch or a set of patches that
>
> - applies cleanly to the upstream git tree
> - adds files into a single directory under drivers/staging
> - compiles without errors
> - has a Signed-off-by line from someone
> - adds a TODO file in the same directory with a list of things to
>   work on, before the code gets moved to drivers/net.

This sounds fine.

Any of us at Nicira could sign off on it.  Jesse Gross
<jesse at nicira.com> does the most substantive work on the kernel module
these days, for what it's worth.

> > Unfortunately/fortunately I will be more or less off-line next week
> > for LinuxCon in Boston. So it will be difficult for me to make a concrete
> > start on anything before that is finished. If any Open vSwitch people
> > will be in Boston next week, it would be a good chance to meet.
>
> I'll also be in Boston. A few weeks ago, I have tried getting the module
> code into a state where it could be sent as a patch to the staging tree,
> but before I had it complete, I realized that there is no Signed-off-by:
> in the git tree, which means I don't want to send it myself.

We haven't been making a habit of using Signed-off-by: in the Open
vSwitch tree at large, because our lawyers didn't tell us that we had
to.  We have, however, been adding them in the xenserver/ subdirectory,
since Citrix pulls files directly from there and wants the sign-offs, so
we could start doing so for kernel code also.