[ovs-dev] WDP interface

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Tue Aug 10 16:51:56 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 05:35:27PM +0300, Shlomo Shachar wrote:
> I have implemented a netdev & wdp interface with a new type "foo", and made
> sure they are being registered. When I starts ovs-openflowd with
> foo at dp0datapath, I am getting an error message of unknown datapath
> type "foo". From
> reviewing the ovs-openflowd code it seems to me that the ovs-openflowd tries
> to open the xfif datapath, and if not present, it fails and exits. i.e., it
> does not try to open the wdp interface (through ofproto_create) if the xfif
> interface does not exist.

ovs-openflowd has not been modified to support non-xfif datapaths.  You
can use ovs-vswitchd instead, or you can just comment out the code in
ovs-openflowd that calls xfif_create_and_open() and adds ports if any
were specified.

> When implementing a wdp interface is it mandatory to also implement the xfif
> interface or this is just a bug in ovs-openflowd initialization sequence?

It is more of a bug in ovs-openflowd than anything else, yes.  Really I
recommend using ovs-vswitchd, since it is better tested.