[ovs-dev] RFC: correct way to deal with runt packets

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Tue Aug 10 21:02:55 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 04:56:24PM -0400, Jesse Gross wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Ben Pfaff <blp at nicira.com> wrote:
> > In a recent thread, you pointed out that the kernel and user datapaths
> > mishandle packets that have too-short IP headers.  That is, if a frame
> > has an Ethernet type of 0x0800 (IP), but the Ethernet header is followed
> > by less than 20 bytes (the minimum length IP header), then the flow will
> > have dl_type 0x0800 and the L3 header pointer in the skb will point to
> > the incomplete IP header, with no easy way for code that receives the
> > skb and flow to tell that the IP header was missing or truncated.
> >
> >    3. Leave the dl_type and L3 header pointer set as they are now, but
> >       make code that cares about them itself check that the packet is
> >       long enough.  This has the potential advantage of dropping
> >       branches from the flow_extract() code, which is probably the fast
> >       path here, putting all of the checking burden into the code that
> >       actually needs to change headers, which probably doesn't get hit
> >       as much.
>
> Options #3 sounds reasonable to me.  What would you do if the header is too
> short to perform an action?  Drop the packet?  Not do the action?

Just not doing the action would be consistent with what OVS does if the
packet is otherwise inappropriate for the action, e.g. ODPAT_SET_TP_SRC
does nothing for non-IP packets, so I'd be inclined to do that.

> Would you also make the behavior of the L4 code match?

I think that we ought to do that regardless of what decision we make.

I'll plan to write patches to do this tomorrow morning unless I hear
from you otherwise before that.