[ovs-dev] [rfc 0/6] merge of datapath into upstream kernel tree

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Thu Aug 26 04:33:01 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 12:08 AM, Simon Horman <horms at verge.net.au> wrote:
> * The patch description needs work

Have to think about this one.  There's some general information in the
README file but I don't want it to sound too much like marketing.

Also, I think the description in Kconfig could use a little bit of
work as well.  In particular it refers to the userspace process as the
"controller", when in fact userspace can be directed from across the
network by a "controller".  Since there already has been some
confusion about the roles of the different components, we should
definitely clear this up.

> * Please suggest items for the TODO

A few of the items that we have for TODO are pretty straightforward
fixes that apply equally well to the current Open vSwitch tree as they
do to the merge.  To me it makes sense to just take care of these now
rather than make other people look at them (and probably repeatedly
comment on them).  The ones on the list currently that fall into this
category:

* Using pr_*
* Removing trailing whitespace (probably some other formatting fixes as well)
* Stephen's comments about make_writable().

Bigger changes properly belong in the TODO so we can think some and
get  feedback.  Examples of these changes:

* Ripping out compatibility code (I don't think that this is
controversial or requires much discussion but it will create a large
diff against the main Open vSwitch tree which will make patch handling
more difficult while we sort out the other things.)
* The userspace interface.  I expect this one to generate a fair
amount of discussion.  Ben has been doing some thinking about this to
get the ball rolling.
* Network namespace support.  Need to decide exactly what problem we
are trying to solve (i.e. switching within a namespace or between
namespaces).

> * I'm not sure where we want the code merged,
>  this patch places the code in drivers/staging/ovs-datapath

I thought that we had discussed skipping drivers/staging/ and going
straight in?  What about net/openvswitch?

> * brcompat has been omitted
>
> * compat.h and linux-2.6/* have been omitted

Good riddance.

> * The subsequent patches in this series should probably
>  be folded into this one before submitting the
>  code for merging. I broke them out to allow the
>  changes to be more easily inspected.

Good idea, breaking it out makes it a lot easier to review.

> * Compile tested only
>
> * Compiles cleanly against
>  - Linus's current tree (2.6.36-rc2+α)
>  - 2.6.36-rc2
>  - 2.6.36-rc1

If we are skipping drivers/staging/ we should be targeting
net-next-2.6.  The current tree compiles against it (modulo
IFF_OVS_DATAPATH, which is now defined twice if you have the compat
code there).