[ovs-dev] packets coming to local port of the datapath does not go to NOX

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Wed Dec 1 05:07:52 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 8:04 PM, Jyotiswarup Raiturkar
<jyotisr5 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> After the original mail, we got this working. We created an internal
> port on each  bridge which create dummy netdev interface on each
> machine (Machine_1 and Machine_2 below). This makes the packets hit
> the rules.

OK, sure, that's another way around it.  In band control only applies
to the primary internal device.

> BTW, we use in-band control; the NOX sets up rules on the vswitch
> using the secure channel, and the same channel is shared with data
> packets being forwarded.

If I understand correctly, packets are being generated by VMs and are
then sent to the controller for switching.  In that case, while the
OpenFlow messages and data packets share the same network, it is not,
in fact in band control.  Here the packets are being encapsulated and
essentially become control traffic.  When you have unencapsulated
traffic things become much less structured and require the in band
rules.  This could occur if your VMs and controller were all on the
same subnet.  However, as long as things are working for you the
distinction is not particularly important.