[ovs-dev] [ofp-util logging 1/3] ofp-util: Improve log message for bad OpenFlow action length.

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Fri Dec 24 00:14:14 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 08:23:19AM +0900, Romain Lenglet wrote:
> However, the bug in our controller wasn't that we sent actions with the
> wrong length, it was that we sent vendor actions with the wrong subtype (and
> this other subtype had a different action length). We have added custom
> vendor actions to OVS, and our subtypes have to change every time you add
> one upstream, so we're regularly bitten by such bugs.

It sounds like you are adding Nicira vendor actions.  That will
inevitably cause conflicts.  I would suggest adding actions under a
different vendor code, either one obtained from the OpenFlow consortium
or from IEEE.

I think that we would accept infrastructure to make adding actions for
non-Nicira vendors easier, if you will pass it along.