[ovs-dev] [sparse 0/4] fix sparse complaints

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Tue Dec 28 05:35:24 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 12:20 AM, Ben Pfaff <blp at nicira.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 9:14 PM, Jesse Gross <jesse at nicira.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 6:38 PM, Ben Pfaff <blp at nicira.com> wrote:
>>> This series fixes various issues that sparse complained about.  None
>>> of them is a bug fix, but all of them seemed worth fixing.
>>
>> Hmm, I guess that I should turn up the warning level when I run sparse.
>
> I just built passing "C=1" to the "make" process, so I didn't do anything
> special.  Are you running it some other way?

No, that's how I run it as well (sometimes also with
CF="-D__CHECK_ENDIAN__").  Running that against master I don't see any
warnings (with the exception of some RCU checks that were added in
2.6.37 that I'll send out patches for soon).  If I add -Wsparse-all
then I see the issues mentioned here.

> I'm using a locally built sparse, by the way, not any packaged version.
> It's probably a few months old, but at the time the packaged version for
> Debian was an antique, which is why I built it.

I'm also running a locally build version from the latest git.
However, the last commit was October 8, so it doesn't seem like much
would have changed.  I guess some of the defaults must have been
updated.