[ovs-dev] xenserver: update interface-reconfigure and vif integration scripts

Ian Campbell Ian.Campbell at citrix.com
Tue Jan 26 17:48:06 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 17:29 +0000, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> > > Thank you.  I tested this and made a few minor tweaks and then
> > > pushed it out to master.
> >
> > As far as I can tell the minor tweaks was just:
>
> I summarized the changes in the commit message:

Sorry, I should have read that, I glanced at it and thought it looked
vaguely the same shape the one I sent with the patch so didn't look any
closer.

> This commit is as provided by Ian Campbell, with a few minor tweaks:
>
>         - Updated xenserver/automake.mk to distribute the added files.
>
>         - Updated RPM spec file not to complain if the added files do
>           not already exist (since they do not exist on XenServer 5.5.0).

I didn't compare these ones since I was trying to determine if there was
anything I should pull in upstream. Even without reading the commit
message it should have occurred to me you might have tweaked stuff here.

>         - Change location of dbcache back to /var/lib/openvswitch/dbcache
>           so that this can coexist with our other internal builds.
>           (Undoubtedly we will have to adopt the new location chosen by Ian
>           eventually, however.)
>
> > -dbcache_file = "/var/xapi/network.dbcache"
> > +dbcache_file = "/var/lib/openvswitch/dbcache"
> >
> > It's worth noting that XCP and recent XenServer trunk builds use
> > the /var/xapi path since the file is no longer vswitch specific -- it is
> > used by interface-reconfigure with bridging enabled as well and the
> > installer will now create a valid initial instance of this file.
>
> I definitely intend to adopt the /var/xapi path as soon as I can.  The
> only issue is that I need to figure out how to transition our internal
> users cleanly.  They like to upgrade and downgrade vswitch versions by
> just running "rpm -U", because it is convenient.  Usually, that works.
> But this change will cause breakage if I don't do something about it.
> I've learned in the past that social methods ("Hey guys, if you upgrade
> from a build before X to build X or later, do an 'rpm -e' and reboot in
> the middle") don't work, because everyone forgets.  I'm going to try to
> figure something out this morning.

Makes sense.

If your %post calls the interface-reconfigure rewrite action in both
cases (which I though it did) won't the correct file get rewritten at
that time? Regardless of whether you are up- or down-grading? I must
admit I'm not that familiar with what gets called when with RPM...

Thanks,
Ian.