[ovs-dev] Introduction and request for some pointers

Rose, Gregory V gregory.v.rose at intel.com
Wed Mar 10 23:46:38 UTC 2010

Greetings,

I'm a developer for the Lan Access Division (LAD) at Intel and I've been working on SR-IOV features for our 1 Gig and 10 Gig Ethernet controllers that support the spec.  Specifically these are the 82576 and 82599 1 Gig and 10 Gig controllers respectively.  These controllers have an onboard switch with (very) basic L2 capabilities.  I'm looking at using Open vSwitch to create a way of configuring and monitoring the switches on these types of NICs (not just Intel) and hope to contribute to the project someday.  I could use some pointers on where to get started from those who know the code better than I.  I mean I could just start digging and eventually figure it out, but some tips on where to start would definitely help.

I've already cloned the git tree, built the distro tar ball and used the XCP DDK VM to build the RPM which I've installed on my XCP 0.1.1 system.  It's working well so far so I'm ready to get my hands dirty and start hacking things up.  Any pointers to get me jump-started will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

- Greg Rose
Intel Corp.
Lan Access Division

No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.

- Charles Dickens