[ovs-dev] InMon sFlow licence and DFSG

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Mon Nov 8 18:11:22 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 06, 2010 at 09:44:48AM +0900, Simon Horman wrote:
> I noticed the following clause in the COPYING file and I am wondering
> about the compatibility of this licence with the DFSG.
>
> Files lib/sflow*.[ch] are licensed under the terms of the InMon sFlow
> licence that is available at:
>         http://www.inmon.com/technology/sflowlicense.txt

I'm not sure.  We could (probably should) bring it up on debian-legal.

Peter Phaal from InMon wrote to me privately to mention that the same
code is also available under the Adaptive Public License at
        http://host-sflow.sourceforge.net/license.html
The APL is OSI-certified but I don't see anything in Debian with that
license, so I'm unsure whether it's DFSG-free also.

If worst comes to worst we can just write equivalent code.  I doubt that
the sFlow code is doing anything too magical.  It's just composing
packets according to a published standard, after all.