[ovs-dev] packets coming to local port of the datapath does not go to NOX

Vishal Swarankar vishal.swarnkar at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 08:19:52 UTC 2010

Hi,

I have following setup.

Machine_1:
==========

eth0 : 10.1.0.X with ip forwarding enabled

br1 ( vswitch datapath) : 10.2.0.30 and a controller(NOX) set to 10.1.0.Y

NOX: whenever a new datapath connects to NOX, it installs a flow saying
forward all packets to controller ( actions:CONTROLLER)

VM_1 with its eth0 tapped to br0 and has an IP 10.2.0.31

Machine_2:
==========

eth0 : 10.1.0.X with ip forwarding enabled

br2 ( vswitch datapath) : 10.2.0.50 and a controller(NOX) set to 10.1.0.Y

NOX: whenever a new datapath connects to NOX, it installs a flow saying
forward all packets to controller ( actions:CONTROLLER)

VM_2 with its eth0 tapped to br0 and has an IP 10.2.0.51

Now I can ping VM_2 from VM_1 and vice versa and I can see that all packets
are going through NOX ( n_packets increases in ovs-ofctl dump-flows ). But
when I ping VM_1 from Machine_2 then the packets does not go to
NOX(n_packets does not increase). Same behaviour for Machine_1 pinging VM_2.

I can see that my routing table is correct on both machine and it has entry
like

10.2.0.0  255.255.255.0 brX

I can see ARP requests on the bridges but nothing is going to NOX. I tried
to add an explicit rule in the vswitch datapath
::in_port=65534,actions:CONTROLLER, but the packets are not hitting this
rule also.

But if I ping VM_1 from Machine_1, i can see that all packets are hitting
the rule correctly. e.g. if I ping for 3 packets, then I can see an
increment of 8 packets in n_packets ( 1 ARP REQ, 1 ARP REP, 3 ICMP REQ, 3
ICMP REP )

Is this expected behaviour of vswitch ?

thanks
Vishal