[ovs-dev] WDP problem

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Thu Oct 21 17:02:21 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 10:27:23AM +0100, Stefan Kobza wrote:
> we ran into problems using the WDP branch from Openvswitch. First of all, we
> need to know whether we are using the correct approach. Basically we created
> xfif_class and registered it as only base_xfif_classes entry. We saw that
> registered xfif_classes get picked up by wdp, and are being called when
> needed (port_add, port_del, etc..).

If you are implementing an xfif, then I am surprised that you are using
the wdp branch at all.

> Our problem is that when flow_mod message is received on OVS part, it
> doesn't call our xfif's flow_put.

I would only expect it to do so for exact-match flows.  Because OVS has
a "tunnel ID" field in its flow match, which is always wildcarded unless
a special OVS extension is enabled, it is not possible to set up
exact-match flows using standard OpenFlow 1.0, and so you won't see such
behavior with an OpenFlow 1.0 controller.

For a flow that has wildcards, the flow is kept in the classifier until
a packet arrives that matches it, at which time the exact-match flow
corresponding to that packet is set up and the xfif's flow_put is called
to add it.