[ovs-dev] Question about Port Mirroring (SPAN)

Justin Pettit jpettit at nicira.com
Tue Dec 27 07:49:37 UTC 2011

On Dec 27, 2011, at 1:39 AM, Aimal Khan wrote:

> Why are packets not being mirrored when flows are written to the switch? Is it the expected behaviour or am I doing something wrong?

In that version of OVS, mirrors only worked when the output was to the "normal" virtual port (ie, normal switching is supposed to occur).  This is the default behavior before you add any flows, which is why your first case worked.  Your second and third cases explicitly output to actual ports, which bypasses the support for mirroring.  In the forthcoming 1.4 release, we've reworked the mirroring code so that no longer happens--mirroring occurs regardless of the "normal" action.  The code is checked into the "branch-1.4" and master branches, if you want to play with it sooner.

--Justin