[ovs-dev] proposal: ovs-vsctl commands for managing controllers/managers

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Thu Feb 3 20:22:36 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 10:23:52AM -0800, Andrew Evans wrote:
> I propose we add a set of commands to add/get/delete managers that work
> the same way as the ones that manage controllers. I further propose we
> modify the existing controller commands to make it easier to add or
> remove one or more controllers to an existing set. Here's how this would
> look:
>
>   get-controllers BRIDGE

The existing "get-controller" already prints all of the controllers, one
per line.  How would "get-controllers" be different?

>   add-controllers BRIDGE TARGET [TARGET...]

I don't know whether add-controllers would be useful in practice or
not.  Have you noticed a need for it in your own work?

>   del-controllers BRIDGE [--all|TARGET...]

The current del-controller command is (presumably) equivalent to
"del-controllers --all".  I think that we could just extend the existing
"del-controller" to take an optional list of targets to remove.

>   get-managers
>   add-managers TARGET [TARGET...]
>   del-managers [--all|TARGET...]

I think I'd prefer to just have --all be the default if no manager is
named on del-managers.  I'd definitely like to have a "set-managers"
command instead of or in addition to add-managers.

Thanks,

Ben.