[ovs-dev] proposal: ovs-vsctl commands for managing controllers/managers

Andrew Evans aevans at nicira.com
Thu Feb 3 20:39:29 UTC 2011

On 2/3/11 12:22 PM, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 10:23:52AM -0800, Andrew Evans wrote:
>> I propose we add a set of commands to add/get/delete managers that work
>> the same way as the ones that manage controllers. I further propose we
>> modify the existing controller commands to make it easier to add or
>> remove one or more controllers to an existing set. Here's how this would
>> look:
>>
>>   get-controllers BRIDGE
>
> The existing "get-controller" already prints all of the controllers, one
> per line.  How would "get-controllers" be different?

Apparently it wasn't obvious that I meant to replace the existing
controller commands. Is such a compatibility break untenable?

>>   add-controllers BRIDGE TARGET [TARGET...]
>
> I don't know whether add-controllers would be useful in practice or
> not.  Have you noticed a need for it in your own work?

Sort of. I've been testing adding and removing multiple managers, so I
think it's useful for add-managers/del-managers to take multiple targets
in one shot. Ideally I'd like the controller commands to be
syntactically identical.

>>   del-controllers BRIDGE [--all|TARGET...]
>
> The current del-controller command is (presumably) equivalent to
> "del-controllers --all".  I think that we could just extend the existing
> "del-controller" to take an optional list of targets to remove.

As above, I meant this to replace del-controller.

>>   get-managers
>>   add-managers TARGET [TARGET...]
>>   del-managers [--all|TARGET...]
>
> I think I'd prefer to just have --all be the default if no manager is
> named on del-managers.

I considered that, but I think that's a bit too sharp-edged/unforgiving.

> I'd definitely like to have a "set-managers"
> command instead of or in addition to add-managers.

Ok. I don't see it as strictly necessary if we replace the existing
*-controller functions, but I'm not strongly opposed to adding it either.

-Andrew