[ovs-dev] netlink error reporting revisited

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Fri Feb 4 18:34:54 UTC 2011

I had made a note to myself to take another look at netlink_set_err()
after the netlink series was put to bed.  Now that I look at it again, I
think that we need to revisit how we do error reporting.

The problem is that netlink_set_err() was not exported from 2.6.22
through 2.6.29 and I can see no way to implement it for those versions.
If we want reliable error reporting for those versions, I think that we
will have to do careful preallocation of reply skbs in all the cases
where we currently call netlink_set_err().

What do you think?