[ovs-dev] [suse 1/7] xenserver: Add LSB init info to scripts.

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Wed Jan 5 18:57:36 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 04:41:23PM -0500, Patrick Mullaney wrote:
> I'm all for bringing them closer together. This is an area where there
> could be some distro specific differences. My main goal was to get
> something for the LSB headers into this script. This one can be
> xenserver specific.
>
> The description fields can be the same. Lets take the debian ones. I'm
> not sure about using the runlevel 4 in my suse specific script but
> I can patch that in my rpm for now.

OK, I've updated xenserver/etc_init.d_openvswitch to use the Debian LSB
headers now.

> As as side note, I ran into a problem with this since I posted this
> patch. It seems I need to have "# Required-Start: $local_fs" so that
> openvswitch will start before network(and not in parallel with it). This
> enforces that openvswitch comes up before the network config is applied.
> The network config(ifcfg on suse) can include existing bridge
> configuration. This ordering is an area where there may be some
> distro differences also.
>
> The next problem that using local_fs above causes is that many of
> the ovs utilities are installed in /usr(this is the remote_fs). It would
> be nice to variablize this is the spec. I'll look into this when I get
> the chance.
>
> I'm curious - do we have the same issue with xenserver/centos?

This is an issue that we have not considered at all before, because the
environments that we have encountered before all have /usr on a local
file system.  XenServer, for example, always has Dom0 installed on a
local disk.

I assume that the correct solution would be to install essential Open
vSwitch binaries in /bin or /sbin as appropriate?  We will need to think
about which ones are really important.

Since this is a new issue I'm going to consider the patch as updated to
be OK.  We can improve it later.