[ovs-dev] Flow Control and Port Mirroring Revisited

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Thu Jan 13 15:45:38 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 1:47 AM, Simon Horman <horms at verge.net.au> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 06:31:55PM +0900, Simon Horman wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 10:23:58AM +0900, Simon Horman wrote:
>> > On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 05:38:01PM -0500, Jesse Gross wrote:
>> >
>> > [ snip ]

>> > Point taken. I will see if I can control CPU (and thus memory) consumption
>> > using cgroups and/or tc.
>>
>> I have found that I can successfully control the throughput using
>> the following techniques
>>
>> 1) Place a tc egress filter on dummy0
>>
>> 2) Use ovs-ofctl to add a flow that sends skbs to dummy0 and then eth1,
>>    this is effectively the same as one of my hacks to the datapath
>>    that I mentioned in an earlier mail. The result is that eth1
>>    "paces" the connection.
>
> Further to this, I wonder if there is any interest in providing
> a method to switch the action order - using ovs-ofctl is a hack imho -
> and/or switching the default action order for mirroring.

I'm not sure that there is a way to do this that is correct in the
generic case.  It's possible that the destination could be a VM while
packets are being mirrored to a physical device or we could be
multicasting or some other arbitrarily complex scenario.  Just think
of what a physical switch would do if it has ports with two different
speeds.