[ovs-dev] Flow Control and Port Mirroring Revisited

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Fri Jan 21 02:30:14 UTC 2011

Simon Horman wrote:
> [ Trimmed Eric from CC list as vger was complaining that it is too long ]
> I have constructed a test where I run an un-paced  UDP_STREAM test in
> one guest and a paced omni rr test in another guest at the same time.
> Breifly I get the following results from the omni test..

> There is a bit of noise in the results as the two netperf invocations
> aren't started at exactly the same moment
>
> For reference, my netperf invocations are:
> netperf -c -C -t UDP_STREAM -H 172.17.60.216 -l 12
> netperf.omni -p 12866 -D -c -C -H 172.17.60.216 -t omni -j -v 2 -- -r 1 -d rr -k foo -b 1 -w 200 -m 200

Since the -b and -w are in the test-specific portion, this test was not actually
  paced. The -w will have been ignored entirely (IIRC) and the -b will have
attempted to set the "burst" size of a --enable-burst ./configured netperf.  If
netperf was ./configured that way, it will have had two rr transactions in
flight at one time - the "regular" one and then the one additional from the -b
option.  If netperf was not ./configured with --enable-burst then a warning
message should have been emitted.

Also, I am guessing you wanted TCP_NODELAY set, and that is -D but not a global
-D.  I'm reasonably confident the -m 200 will have been ignored, but it would be
best to drop it. So, I think your second line needs to be:

netperf.omni -p 12866 -c -C -H  172.17.60.216 -t omni -j -v 2 -b 1 -w 200 -- -r
1 -d rr -k foo -D

If you want the request and response sizes to be 200 bytes, use -r 200
(test-specific).

Also, if you ./configure with --enable-omni first, that netserver will
understand both omni and non-omni tests at the same time and you don't have to
have a second netserver on a different control port.  You can also go-in to
config.h after the ./configure and unset WANT_MIGRATION and then UDP_STREAM in
netperf will be the "true" classic UDP_STREAM code rather than the migrated to
omni path.

> foo contains
> PROTOCOL
> THROUGHPUT,THROUGHPUT_UNITS
> LOCAL_SEND_THROUGHPUT
> LOCAL_RECV_THROUGHPUT
> REMOTE_SEND_THROUGHPUT
> REMOTE_RECV_THROUGHPUT
> RT_LATENCY,MIN_LATENCY,MEAN_LATENCY,MAX_LATENCY
> P50_LATENCY,P90_LATENCY,P99_LATENCY,STDDEV_LATENCY
> LOCAL_CPU_UTIL,REMOTE_CPU_UTIL

As the -k file parsing option didn't care until recently (within the hour or
so), I think it didn't matter that you had more than four lines (assuming that
is a verbatim cat of foo).  However, if you pull the *current* top of trunk, it
will probably start to care - I'm in the midst of adding support for "direct
output selection" in the -k, -o and -O options and also cleaning-up the omni
printing code to the point where there is only the one routing parsing the
output selection file.  Currently that is the one for "human" output, which has
a four line restriction.  I will try to make it smarter as I go.

happy benchmarking,

rick jones