[ovs-dev] Create bonded trunk with openvswitch

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Fri Jul 1 05:16:37 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 07:10:46AM +0200, Sébastien Riccio wrote:
> On 01.07.2011 06:42, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> >On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 06:35:21AM +0200, Sébastien Riccio wrote:
> >>My machine has 6 nics and I wish to user the first two as a bonded
> >>trunk (for vlans) and I don't
> >>really get how to do it with the ovs command lines.
> >>
> >>Anyone knows what are the commands to setup a bond using eth0 and
> >>eth1, bond that will be
> >>my trunk for the vlans, and then how to create an interface attached
> >>to a specific vlan for
> >>my management interface ?
> >Something like this ought to do it:
> >
> >ovs-vsctl add-bond br0 bond0 eth0 eth1
> >ovs-vsctl add-port br0 mgmt0 tag=1234 -- set interface mgmt0 type=internal
> >ifconfig mgmt0 192.168.0.1
> >
> Ben,
>
> Wow thanks a lot for your fast answer.
>
> That almost didi it, the management interface is up. But I can't
> ping anything.
> Also i see no bond0 in ifconfig, neither in the bridge (brctl show).
> Shoult it appear ? Does the interface bond0 must be configured anyhow before
> creating it with ovs-vsctl ?

In Open vSwitch a bond does not have a network device that you can
configure with ifconfig.  If you need a network device to configure, you
can create an "internal" device (like mgmt0 above) and ifconfig that.
Since the internal device is bridged to the bond, the functionality is
equivalent.

Make sure that whatever you want to talk to is connected to the bridge,
for example on eth0 or eth1 in this case.