[ovs-dev] Problem : do_xlate_actions() called excessively ?

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Thu Jun 2 19:55:33 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 11:16:53AM -0700, Jean Tourrilhes wrote:
> 	I was looking at various things and I found that
> do_xlate_actions() in ofproto.c was called way more often than I was
> expecting. I'm using 1.1.0.

I think the "extra" translations that you are seeing are an effect of
flow accounting.  Once a second, OVS accounts flow statistics to
resubmitted flows via flow_push_stats(), which translates the flow.
It shouldn't be particularly expensive, but if it turns out to be we
could cache the fact that a given flow doesn't resubmit and skip it.

Try "ping -f" and you probably won't see any more xlate_actions calls
than that.