[ovs-dev] [lacp 09/10] lacp: Enable "fast" lacp timing mode.

Ethan Jackson ethan at nicira.com
Thu Mar 17 23:23:12 UTC 2011

> Presumably there is some disadvantage to "fast" mode, since it is not
> the default--I guess that a little latency somewhere can cause
> spurious port-down detection--and so maybe we should document that
> disadvantage.

I don't think there is really a disadvantage of fast mode.  Most
implementations default to slow so I followed. LACP isn't really
intended to be used as a link state detection protocol, it's really
only intended for bonding configuration information.  This information
changes very slowly (e.g. only when someone moves a cable), and in
most cases changes cause transmits anyway.  Without a reason to enable
fast by default, I think people choose slow cause it spits less stuff
on the wire.