[ovs-dev] problem to delete simple port

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Mon May 16 18:07:27 UTC 2011

On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 09:37:05AM +0000, nicolas prochazka wrote:
> qemu create a port vmtap32
> list port : port is here
> del port : seems ok
> list port : port is always here
> del port : not possible port not exist
> recreate port : impossible, port exist

OK, I took a look at your database.

It has a lot of inconsistencies.  First, it does not have the correct
schema for Open vSwitch 1.1.  I think that you must have started with
an earlier version of OVS and upgraded without upgrading the
database.  INSTALL.Linux has instructions:

Upgrading
=========

When you upgrade Open vSwitch from one version to another, you should
also upgrade the database schema:

1. Stop the Open vSwitch daemons, e.g.:

      % kill `cd /usr/local/var/run && cat ovsdb-server.pid ovs-vswitchd.pid`

2. Install the new Open vSwitch release.

3. Upgrade the database, in one of the following two ways:

      - If there is no important data in your database, then you may
        delete the database file and recreate it with ovsdb-tool,
        following the instructions under "Building and Installing Open
        vSwitch for Linux".

      - If you want to preserve the contents of your database, back it
        up first, then use "ovsdb-tool convert" to upgrade it, e.g.:

        % ovsdb-tool convert /usr/local/etc/openvswitch/conf.db vswitchd/vswitch.ovsschema

4. Start the Open vSwitch daemons as described under "Building and
   Installing Open vSwitch for Linux" above.

I think that upgrading your database will solve a lot of these
problems.