[ovs-dev] Statistics Collection Performance Impact

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Wed Nov 9 21:19:42 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 07, 2011 at 04:20:19PM +0900, Simon Horman wrote:
> Although a very simple and possibly na??ve approach, I wonder if
> dynamically extending the interval at which statistics are collected is
> a worthwhile approach to mitigating the performance impact of statistics
> collection.

It's one approach.  It has the nice property of being very simple.

Another approach that I've been pondering myself is, when there are many
datapath flows, to read out the kernel stats for only some of them at a
time and apply the expiration algorithm to just those.  We could run
expiration just as frequently overall, but it would apply to any given
flow less frequently.