[ovs-dev] [GIT PULL v2] Open vSwitch

jamal hadi at cyberus.ca
Wed Nov 23 12:47:43 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-11-23 at 09:12 +0100, Eric Dumazet wrote:

> I had no time to look at OVS, but current tc model is not scalable,
> everything is performed under a queue lock.
> Maybe its time to redesign a new model, based on modern techniques.

Making the enqueur/dequeuer lockless would be a big win. What happened
to your idea of ring buffer?
What other hot areas do you see? It used to be ingress/egress share
the qdisc lock - but that is now gone.

> By the way, we seriously lack good documentation on tc, not counting
> many features. Code might be there, but without documenation, working
> samples, who can use it ?
>
> Take a look at last cls_flow extension, and try to use it on a real
> setup, you'll find its almost not possible...

There's no tc-central.org unlike the nice effort the netfilter guys have
put over the years. Documentation is there - sometimes a little too much
with differing "opinions" (lartc that Herbert pointed to is a good
starting point); but googling also helps.
Unfortunately, sometimes the people who understand stuff have no
motivation to do docs.

cheers,
jamal