[ovs-dev] [GIT PULL v2] Open vSwitch

Eric Dumazet eric.dumazet at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 12:55:38 UTC 2011

Le mercredi 23 novembre 2011 à 07:47 -0500, jamal a écrit :
> On Wed, 2011-11-23 at 09:12 +0100, Eric Dumazet wrote:
>
> > I had no time to look at OVS, but current tc model is not scalable,
> > everything is performed under a queue lock.
> > Maybe its time to redesign a new model, based on modern techniques.
>
> Making the enqueur/dequeuer lockless would be a big win. What happened
> to your idea of ring buffer?

Currently thinking about it. I was also waiting Tom Herbert BQL patches.

Several people are interested, and John Fastabend told me he plans to :

 (1) rcu'ify classifiers/actions as needed
 (2) add flag to drop qdisc lock on simple or hw qdiscs
 (3) mq and mqprio call root qdisc and run a pass over classifiers
     actions possibly resetting queue_mapping.