[ovs-dev] [GIT PULL v2] Open vSwitch

Jamal Hadi Salim jhs at mojatatu.com
Wed Nov 23 13:44:18 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-11-23 at 13:55 +0100, Eric Dumazet wrote:

> Currently thinking about it. I was also waiting Tom Herbert BQL patches.

Excellent. I can test when you have something.

> Several people are interested, and John Fastabend told me he plans to :
>
>  (1) rcu'ify classifiers/actions as needed

Makes sense in most cases. If you have a lot of flow setup/teardown
it may harm.
Another one - but dont see how much you can do about this; useful
when you want to share state (eg multiple flows being policed
by a single rate meter);
An action could be shared across multiple policies i.e you can
have:
match1, action foo instance 1, action bar instance 3
match2, action bar instance3
match3, ....
This could would mean a lock contended across cpus when different
flows hitting match1/2 show up on different cpus.

>  (2) add flag to drop qdisc lock on simple or hw qdiscs

Where does config for the hardware happen from?

>  (3) mq and mqprio call root qdisc and run a pass over classifiers
>      actions possibly resetting queue_mapping.

It seems to make sense - but I will wait and see to have better
understanding.

cheers,
jamal