[ovs-dev] Integration of Open vSwitch

jamal hadi at cyberus.ca
Wed Nov 30 13:11:56 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-11-29 at 22:25 -0800, Jesse Gross wrote:
> Hi Herbert and Jamal (and everyone else),
>
> Sorry about starting yet another thread but the other one went in so
> many directions that I think a lot of things got lost in it.

Good idea ;->

> As I
> mentioned before, I'd like to have a bit of a design discussion of
> what it would look like if Open vSwitch were to use some of the
> existing components (and really focus on just that).  There were a
> number of suggestions made about using parts of the bridge, tc,
> netfilter, etc. and some of them overlap or conflict so I don't quite
> have a coherent solution in mind.  Would you guys mind walking through
> what each of you envision it looking like?

I'll try my TL;DR version:
My opinion is the classifier action code needs refactoring. I have no
doubt that it goes in as is it will eventually look like the one
we already have. From the evolution of that code i can already see
that is where it is going. I really dont see need to have two competing
interfaces in that aspect. If you decide to go that way I will be
happy to help review and make suggestions.

My !TL;DR version will include details on other things like:
- bridging, the scalability of kernel->user packet redirect etc.
But youve seen some of those views.

cheers,
jamal