[ovs-dev] Q on sending packets from the system running ovs

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Thu Feb 16 18:19:02 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 12:10:29AM +0100, Ravi.Kerur at telekom.com wrote:
> I have installed sparse and am running make C=1, didn't see the
> warning. I know there is a problem in the code just wanted to check
> if it's the correct way?

That's the right way to get the warnings, yes.  If you installed
sparse after you ran "configure", though, you will need to rerun
"configure"; it checks whether sparse is available.  Also, the sparse
rules only work with GNU make.

> All mpls related openflow definitions are in openflow.h. I didn't
> think them as a nicira extension hence added them as per OF 1.1 spec
> definition into openflow.h file. Should these be moved to
> nicira-ext.h? Just the definitions or should adhere to nicira
> extension header and other things?

The problem is that OF1.1 didn't just add these actions, it actually
renumbered existing actions, so that the ones that you are adding
cannot use the correct OF1.1 numbering for actions without colliding
with OF1.0 actions.

They should use Nicira extension headers for now.  Obviously, as OF1.1
gets to be more solidly implemented, OVS will use the proper OF1.1
form for these actions.

> Are you referring to ofp actions when you mention "I couldn't find
> the OFP_MPLS_* definitions". Mpls ofp actions are in openflow.h and
> mpls match are added as nicira extension. Diffs doesn't include mpls
> match related changes.

Your patch added some enums whose names begin with OFP_MPLS.  I
couldn't find these enums in the OF1.1 or OF1.2 standard so I wondered
where they came from.  We try to put only standard definitions in
openflow.h.