[ovs-dev] [RFC v5 00/26] Flow Based Tunneling for Open vSwitch

Simon Horman horms at verge.net.au
Wed Jun 13 01:02:42 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 09:59:36AM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 04, 2012 at 08:25:45AM +0900, Simon Horman wrote:
> > * The way that I have split the patchs is still somewhat arbitrary.
> >   I wanted to avoid one very large patch to aid review.  But a lot of the
> >   chagnes are inter-related, so a bisectable split seems rather difficult.
> >   None the less, the split could be significantly improved.
>
> Simon, I've had the opposite problem reviewing these patches: I don't
> know which patches should be considered as squashed together, and so
> I'm not sure at what point everything is supposed to be working
> together.  What's your take on how the patches should eventually be
> committed?  Just one commit, or something like "patches 1-5 squashed,
> 6-15 squashed, 16 by itself, 17-26 squashed" (just picking random
> numbers without looking at them).  Then I can at least squash them
> together with "git rebase --interactive" to get a bisectable series
> and an idea of what it should look like eventually.

I would prefer to avoid one big commit, so I'd prefer some squashing,
possibly with some re-ordering done first. Unfortunately I don't have a
good feeling for what exactly to squash at this point.

If you were to squash the entire series in to one big patch then
the result would be something that works, though there are caveats
as per my cover email.