[ovs-dev] Initial set-up with Fedora 17 lost connectivity

Chris Wright chrisw at sous-sol.org
Wed Mar 14 17:24:53 UTC 2012

* Gary Kotton (gkotton at redhat.com) wrote:
> I have a host that has 1 NIC (em1). The IP address was received via
> DHCP. After installing openvswitch (openvswitch.x86_64 1.4.0-4.fc17)
> I did the following:
>
>    ovs-vsctl add-br br-int
>    ovs-vsctl add-port br-int em1
>
> This cases a loss of network connectivity.
> A work around for this was:
>
>    ovs-vsctl del-br br-int
>    ifdown em1
>    ip link set em1 up
>    ovs-vsctl add-br br-int
>    ovs-vsctl add-port br-int em1
>    sudo dhclient br-int

Thanks Gary.  This is the result of a couple of different issues.

The recipe above is working around the network initscripts lack of DHCP
support (I'll fix that in Fedora).  It's also being careful to not
trigger NetworkManager (hence ip link set em1 up instead of something
like ifconfig em1 0.0.0.0 up).

So, this is a temporary workaround for lack of DHCP support (the
upstream initscripts should fix this, which I'll test and apply to
Fedora's package).

thanks,
-chris