[ovs-dev] output action to a bonded port

Alexandre Bezroutchko abb at gremwell.com
Fri Mar 16 05:03:51 UTC 2012

Thanks everybody. I understand the bottom line is I can't create a flow
to properly output to bonded ports.

What I am trying to achieve is to control distribution of DHCP traffic
on a bridge used by multiple untrusted VMs. I want DHCP broadcasts
delivered from VM to my local DHCP server VM and bonded ports. Before I
upgraded to bonded interfaces I was happily using output action to a
single interface. Now it obviously does not work. I tried to do output
to all enslaved interfaces of the bonded port, but it resulted in
traffic loop so I had to revert.

If anyone knows how to achieve this, I will be grateful for any ideas.

Regards,
Alex

On 03/15/2012 09:55 PM, Ethan Jackson wrote:
>> I wonder the impact using the bundle, now that I have this in production =)
>>
>> The bond is configured with SLB active-active (Yea, I know some of the
>> issues with this) but since, as you said, it bypasses the bond code this
>> should avoid the SLB problem, right ?
> No it will actually exacerbate them. A lot of the "problems" of SLB
> bonding are due to the SLB code trying to account for the fact that
> the upstream switch is not aware it's participating in a bond.  If
> this compensation wasn't made, the behavior would be significantly
> worse. The bundle action doesn't do any compensation at all.  This can
> cause severe problems leading to potentially black-holed traffic.
>
> Ethan

Alexandre Bezroutchko
Gremwell bvba
+32.479.72.65.27