[ovs-dev] mpls and vlan qinq

R.Kerur at telekom.com R.Kerur at telekom.com
Fri Mar 23 15:53:17 UTC 2012

Maybe we can use this thread to discuss offloading features for mpls and vlan qinq.

> <rk> are you referring to TSO/LRO?

TSO, checksum offload, vlan tag insertion.  LRO is on receive so it
won't be affected by this.

<rk> I think checksum offloading should be independant of vlan headers, not sure why you mention this?  Receive side won't be affected? I have to disagree. There are NICs which support vlan tag receive offloading and its important especially for high speed NICs.

For MPLS, it's mostly deployed in provider-edge or provider network. I would be interested in understanding the deployment scenarios of ovs in this case. Coming back to your question of mpls offloading in another thread, I have not come across any NICs which does this, if you have please send me the pointer to it. I would be interested in taking a look at its datasheet.