[ovs-dev] Changing proc title on FreeBSD

Ed Maste emaste at freebsd.org
Tue Oct 9 22:03:32 UTC 2012

On 9 October 2012 17:18, Ben Pfaff <blp at nicira.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 01:54:28PM -0700, Ethan Jackson wrote:
>> > Does the 'argv' code in command-line.c actually malfunction on ESX?
>> > It'd be nice to just leave it in, if not.  It's not really tied to
>> > having the Linux datapath, it's orthogonal.  (It should actually work
>> > on many Unix and Unix-like systems, but we specialize it to Linux
>> > pending testing on other systems.)
>>
>> Yes I disabled it because I had verified that according to ps the
>> process title was not set.
>
> OK, thanks.

Interesting - I didn't notice this code before.

On FreeBSD we have setproctitle(const char *fmt, ...) for this
functionality, which has the same interface as proctitle_set.
Unfortunately there's no decent way to pass the varargs through.

I could add an #elif defined(__FreeBSD__) case to command-line.c and
use a temporary buffer in my proctitle_set implementation, or could
just #define proctitle_set setproctitle in command-line.h.  Thoughts
on which is preferable?