[ovs-dev] [PATCH 00/17] Run-Time Open Flow Version Configuration
blp at nicira.com
Wed Oct 17 04:48:55 UTC 2012
On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 01:26:26PM +0900, Simon Horman wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 09:13:29PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 11:24:55AM +0900, Simon Horman wrote:
> > > On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 10:47:48AM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> > > > On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 10:39:23AM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> > > > > I suggest a list of supported protocols, instead of a min/max, because
> > > > > ONF recently standardized a way to negotiate a set of protocols rather
> > > > > than a range. Do you have access to the OpenFlow 1.3.1 standard? (It
> > > > > doesn't seem to be on the opennetworking.org website yet.) It is in
> > > > > there.
> > > >
> > > > Simon, are you working on the 1.3.1 version negotiation protocol or do
> > > > you plan to work on it? If not, let me know: I may take the time to
> > > > implement this myself.
> > >
> > > Hi Ben,
> > >
> > > sorry for not replying earlier. I have done some work in this area
> > > but I am not comfortable with publishing it as the Open Flow 1.3.1 spec
> > > has not been published yet.
> > The 1.3.1 spec has been approved by the ONF board. We've been told in
> > the past that it's fine to publish implementations of unpublished
> > standards. In fact, this will be *required* for 1.4: only features that
> > have been implemented in some open source switch will be accepted for
> > 1.4. So I don't think that 1.3.1 not being published is a good reason
> > not to send out a patch series.
> Thanks, very good to know.
> To be clear, I have a series that doesn't use Open Flow 1.3.1 version
> negotiation protocol but has been designed to allow it to be easily added.
> And I have done some preparatory work on the Hello extension described in
> Open Flow 1.3.1. So from here I see myself having two choices:
> 1. Post the series as is (very soon)
> - Actually its already in
> git://github.com/horms/openvswitch.git devel/of1.2-runtime-switch2
> but I am waiting to verify the presence or absence of a bug
> relating to selection of flow formats.
> 2. Add Open Flow 1.3.1 version negotiation and then post (a bit later)
Either way seems fine. If #2 takes a while then fall back to #1 and
I'll work on 1.3.1 negotiation. Thanks!
More information about the dev