[ovs-dev] NVGRE tunnel

Saleha Asad salehageti at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 18:58:37 UTC 2012

Hey,

I am currently working on implementing NVGRE. I had certain questions in my
mind which I think could be cleared through discussion.
My understanding of NVGRE is that on the sender side when we add the NVGRE
header we set a particular VSID for the packet. This VSID is assigned on
the basis of the policy which contains a lookup table maintained by the
administrator. A lookup is performed and the VSID corresponding to the
particular MAC address and IP address is added in the NVGRE header and the
packet is sent on the tunnel. On the receiver side the VSID is extracted
from the NVGRE header and again a lookup is performed on the table
maintained at the receiver side. If the VSID of the receiving packet is
found from the table and the corresponding MAC and IP addresses are matched
then the packet is further processes otherwise discarded.
Please could anyone point out if I am wrong at some point or if I am
missing something. I wanted to know that what is the basis of this
assignment of VSID, are they just random 24 bit numbers set my the
administrator or is there some standard to follow while allotting VSIDs.

Attached is a picture to clarify the scenario.