[ovs-dev] Use of netlink library

Saleha Asad salehageti at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 14:48:14 UTC 2012

Dear all,

I am setting up a GRE tunnel using Open vSwitch. In the ovs-vsctl command
when I set the gre interface I also declare a remote_ip in the options. To
use the gre key I add another option named key. Please if anybody can help
me in finding out that once I set the key in the gre options how is the
netlink library used to bring this *key* from user space to kernel space
and then the key is further used in the tunnel.c code to get stored in
mutable->out_key field. If anyone could elaborate the procedure of bringing
this key in kernel space it would be really helpful. Actually I want to
create more options when I set up the tunnel and then use these options in
my code, which I think would become very easy if I know the working of
netlink library in OVS.

Regards,
Saleha Asad