[ovs-dev] what is the current state of this?

Gurucharan Shetty shettyg at nicira.com
Tue Apr 23 17:31:33 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 10:09 AM, christopher barry <cbarry at rjmetrics.com>wrote:

> This thread discusses correct configuration on debian. It seems to have
> basically trailed off. I would like the correct method to create bridges
> out of my interfaces, and have them automagically startup when the box
> is rebooted. Surprisingly, the answer is still elusive.
>
> http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/discuss/2011-October/005925.html

I don't think there is a perfect way that solves every issue.
If you do not plan to use NFS through a OVS interface (Trying to mount NFS
through a OVS interface will fail if NFS starts before OVS), then you can
just use ovs-vsctl to create bridges. The state is maintained across
reboots as long as you do not delete the database (But you cannot
automatically call dhcp or configure static ip addresses).

If you want to configure through /etc/network/interfaces file, there is a
README file in the repo: debian/openvswitch-switch.README.Debian. If you
use branch 1.10, openvswitch startup script automatically reads the
interfaces file and creates bridges. While shutting down, it deletes the
bridges.

Thanks,
Guru