[ovs-dev] OF1.1+ Groups

Simon Horman horms at verge.net.au
Mon Aug 5 02:38:57 UTC 2013

Hi,

I would like to announce my intention to work on OF1.1+ Groups support for
Open vSwtich with a particular focus on supporting the fast failover group
type.

I do not wish to tread on any toes so if anyone is already working on this
please let me know.

Assuming that is not the case my high-level plan is as follows:

1. Test and as necessary fix
   "[groups RFC 2/2] Implement OpenFLow 1.1+ "groups" protocol."[1]
   by Neil Zhu.

2. Implement group type in dpif-xlate.
   i. indirect
      - This seems like a good base for any other support
   ii. fast failover
      - It may make sense to implement the all group here too,
        either in parallel or as a dependency. But I would
	like to be clear that this is not a priority for me at this time.

At this stage I do not expect datapath changes to be necessary
to implement the above. But I do expect some complexity in relation
to recirculation.

[1] http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/dev/2013-June/029232.html