[ovs-dev] OpenvSwitch DKMS compatibility with Linux 3.11

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Wed Aug 21 16:16:17 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 3:00 AM, James Page <james.page at canonical.com> wrote:

> On 21/08/13 10:26, James Page wrote:
>>> support and looks at least somewhat related, so it might be a
>>> good
>>

> Thank
>>>>
>> for the pointer - this got me over the immediate kernel panic I saw
>> with the master branch on 3.11; see attached patch file for the
>> full delta I'm using.
>>
>> I'm currently hitting a WARN_ON in net/core/dev.c:5078
>
> I tried the same patches against branch-1.12 and I don't see the same
> issue with the 3.11 kernel - which might just dig me out of a hole for
> Ubuntu 13.10.

Interesting. Here's a likely candidate for the difference:
2b51596fdeba7fbf4caff323dd6af375e7f84596 (datapath: link upper device
for port devices)
and the follow up:
fa40777195548ade99d22b4f8ec9a795be682504 (datapath: Do not set
dev->master for XEN.)

Although it's not immediately obvious why this would cause the warning
because on branch-1.11 the master device isn't set at all.

> What's the status of OVS 1.12? Is this just a dev branch or is it
> planned for release?

It's actually a dead branch. It looks like we're going to get a few
more things in and call the version after 1.11 2.0.