[ovs-dev] VEPA support in OVS

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Mon Dec 2 18:20:19 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Kyle Mestery (kmestery)
<kmestery at cisco.com> wrote:
> On Dec 2, 2013, at 11:58 AM, Ben Pfaff <blp at nicira.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 02, 2013 at 05:42:58PM +0000, Kyle Mestery (kmestery) wrote:
>>> My only curiosity here was what would the advantages of implementing
>>> VEPA in OVS be over using the existing lldpad approach. I'd also be
>>> interested to hear what Ben has to say here. Since VEPA is already
>>> mostly implemented in something outside of OVS, then perhaps hooking
>>> up with that work would be a good approach.
>>
>> Isn't VEPA a pretty simple protocol?  I'd think that it could be
>> implemented using OpenFlow.
>
> For the most part, I think that's likely true. My only point was that
> it's already implemented in lldpad. So perhaps finding a novel way
> to make sure of lldpad with OVS would solve the issue without
> writing any code.

This isn't the first time this has come up (people have mentioned it
for both vanilla LLDP and DCBX and also the FCoE daemon) so I think
it's worth thinking about. It would be nice if there was tighter
integration than what is currently done with ebtables on the bridge
though. I don't know if there is a nice generic way to do that or if
we should just do something with lldpad since that's the majority of
the use cases.