[ovs-dev] [threaded-put 14/21] ofproto-dpif-xlate: Add a mechanism to skip wildcard calculation.

Ethan Jackson ethan at nicira.com
Fri Dec 13 02:57:03 UTC 2013

> I wonder how much time it really saves?

Jarno said offline that disabling the decision tree stuff he wrote
increases flow setup performance by roughly 5%.  In the new multi
threaded revalidation setup, shaving a bit off the cost of
xlate_actions() will directly lead to larger datapath flow tables. I
haven't measured this specific optimization personally though.

The other reason I want this, is it will make it marginally easier for
people trying to experiment in the classifier with expensive megaflow
optimization techniques.  I could save it for when such a case
actually arises, but given the 5% gain Jarno mentioned and that I know
of other specific things in the pipeline, I figured I'd go for it.

Ethan