[ovs-dev] ovs-vswitchd start order on debian

Gurucharan Shetty shettyg at nicira.com
Thu Dec 19 16:31:59 UTC 2013

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 10:49 PM, Dietmar Maurer <dietmar at proxmox.com> wrote:
> I am testing latest ovs code on debian, using the following /etc/network/interfaces

Can you tell the version with:
ovs-vsctl --version

> auto vmbr0
I don't think the above line will help you.

> That works, but it does not work when I boot the host. Simply because ovs-vswitchd
> is started much too late in runlevel 2.
>
> So what is the reasoning behind that?
If you are using Open vSwitch version >= 1.10, there is a function in
/etc/init.d/openvswitch-switch which looks at /etc/network/interfaces
for the keyword "allow-ovs" and calls "ifup --allow=ovs $bridge_name"

I can see why it does not work if you are using OVS version < 1.10.