[ovs-dev] lookups in OVS data path

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Mon Feb 11 16:21:27 UTC 2013

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 3:02 AM, SDN learn <sdn.learn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jesse,
>
> Thanks.
>
> Just curious, are there any archives discussing pros/cons of single vs
> multiple lookups? I couldn;t locate much online. A single lookup could bloat
> up the table size.
> What extra info is exposed to user space w/ single lookups?

It exposes the outer tunnel information to userspace, which was
previously lost when it was translated into a port number.  This makes
it possible to implement things like multicast learning and simply the
kernel module.

In most cases there was not much wildcarding going on in the tunnel
lookup, so the change should not affect the kernel flow table size.