[ovs-dev] [ext-272 0/4] Implement EXT-272 (role reply generation_ids)

Rajahalme, Jarno (NSN - FI/Espoo) jarno.rajahalme at nsn.com
Wed Feb 13 07:47:38 UTC 2013

On Feb 12, 2013, at 18:52 , ext Ben Pfaff wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 03:31:16PM +0000, Rajahalme, Jarno (NSN - FI/Espoo) wrote:
>> The patches look good, but as I haven't seen the EXT-272, I don't know
>> if there is a possible conflict with the all-ones value returned when
>> the generation id is undefined. Have you proposed to exclude the
>> all-ones value from the set of valid generation ID values? Or does it
>> matter?
>
> There's nothing special in EXT-272 about excluding all-ones.  I think
> the logic is that UINT64_MAX is unlikely to actually come up if the
> generation number starts from zero.

The logic with not having the generation ID initially defined is to allow for the controllers
to pick any arbitrary number initially. This number may be persistent across individual
controller restarts. After that the generation ID must increase, but each step can be as
large as 2^63-1 (less than half of the ID space). I agree that starting from zero and
increasing by one every now and then would take a long time to reach UINT64_MAX.

> You ought to be able to get access to the Open Networking Foundation bug
> tracker because Nokia Siemens Networks is an ONF member.  See
> https://www.opennetworking.org/membership/member-resources and click on
> "Create your ONF Jira account."

Haven't bothered so far, as we have other people who get paid to do that :-) I'll see...

  Jarno