[ovs-dev] How to set VXLAN VNI?

Changbin Liu changbin.liu at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 04:00:57 UTC 2013

Hi Kyle,

Thanks so much for your reply!

To clarify, I noticed the code was broken recently and have been using
"3b6f2889400fd340b851c2d36356457559ae6e81", where you fixed one VXLAN bug
in early Jan.

I tried your first way:

ovs-vsctl add-port br5 vxlan5 -- set interface vxlan5 type=vxlan

It works! I used an integer as VNI and via Wireshark I can see it is
correctly set in the packets . Just curious: it works even without

Another (less relevant) question is that, has OpenvSwitch's VXLAN supported
STP or similar protocols to avoid loops? We are now using hub and spoke
network topology to get around this issue.

Changbin

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 9:53 PM, Kyle Mestery (kmestery) <kmestery at cisco.com